Building Advice from a Seasoned Woodworker

« Back to Home

What You Need To Consider When Planning On Putting A Mother-In-Law Unit On Your Residential Property

Posted on

Many modern homeowners with aging parents are considering having additions put onto their homes for the purpose of providing these relatives with a convenient place to live. This situation can be advantageous to everyone -- the elderly person retains his or her independence while having loved ones close by, adult children benefit from having another responsible adult on the property, and grandchildren benefit from spending quality time with their grandparents. However, before you commit to having a mother-in-law unit built on your property, you need to consider the following things:

Accessibility Issues

Homeowners sometimes fail to take into consideration the possibility that their senior loved one may experience a decrease in mobility as time goes by. A standard upstairs unit that suits the individual needs and preference of your senior at this time, but several years down the road, they might have extreme difficulty with certain aspects of the space. It's best to speak with your contractor about designing the unit in a way that will allow for future limitations, such as senior-friendly flooring, lighting, and household amenities. 

Local Zoning Laws and Permitting Regulations

There will come a time when your parent won't need the unit. They may decide to entire an all-inclusive retirement facility featuring services they can't get while living in a private residence, or they may decide to enjoy their golden years by buying an RV and hitting the open road. Homeowners need to give some thought to what they may be able to use the unit for once their senior loved one no longer needs it. 

This is where you need the services of a professional builder to advise you on the details of local ordinances involving residential construction permitting. For instance, homeowners often assume that these units can be listed as temporary vacation rentals on popular websites and then find out that city ordinances won't allow for this type of use. The same thing may pertain to rentals -- perhaps you plan on using the unit as a private rental at some point in the future. If this is the case, you need to investigate whether your local zoning allows for that. 

An experienced contractor will have all the current information necessary to make the best possible decision concerning the potential addition to your home. Please feel free to contact your local contractor at your convenience to learn more about the benefits of adding a mother-in-law apartment to your existing home. 

Contact a company like City Permit for more information and assistance.